Silicone is made from the silica found in sand which makes it a resilient, long lasting alternative to plastic. Yes, it's recyclable, even though you might not be able to leave it with your curbside pick-up, and it can be incinerated safety without toxic off-gassing. When burned, silicone reverts back into its harmless ingredients: amorphous silica, carbon dioxide, and water vapor (unlike plastic which releases toxins when burned).
Silicone is durable, and more ocean-friendly than plastic. It lasts longer, and stands up better against heat and cold than plastics. It’s safer for your family, too, with no estrogen-mimicking toxins like BPA to worry about. It is odourless, stain-resistant, hypoallergenic, and has no open pores to harbor harmful bacteria.